Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New interview of Rob with Flick and Bits!

From Flickandbits.com
Following ‘Twilight,’ ‘The Twilight Saga: New Moon’ and ‘The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,’ ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1′ begins the conclusion of the tale of vampire love, boundless friendship, acceptance, and finding your true self. The film hits cinemas November 18th, followed by ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2′ on November 16th 2012. Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Nikki Reed, Ashley Greene, Kellan Lutz, Jackson Rathbone, Peter Facinelli, Elizabeth Reaser, Michael Sheen, and Dakota Fanning star under the direction of Bill Condon. Look out for a more in-depth interview with Robert Pattinson and the rest of the cast closer to the films release date.

You’ve been playing Edward for 4 years now, can you talk about the journey he’s taken through the series and also what that has been like for you personally?
Robert Pattinson: I think in the broadest terms about Edward’s journey, right from the beginning I took out, I just ignored the fact that he was a vampire and basically ignored the fact that he was 108 – except to kind of use for metaphorical purposes. Then you’re just left with a kind of troubled teenager, it’s a really simple story of him getting content with himself. He gets content by finding a woman and having a child which is I guess how a lot of troubled guys kind of balance themselves out. At least that’s the hope anyway (laughs).

This role, it’s presented a whole variety of obstacles in terms of trying to grow and figure out who you want to be. It’s like having a very complicated maze to go through, you’re also being propelled by some kind of jet as well and trying to figure out how to go through a maze at the same time (laughs). I still kind of feel like it hasn’t really slowed down, I’m still trying to figure out where I’m at. But it’s been fun, it’s totally bizarre to me. I’ve said it for years, I didn’t even know if I was going to continue acting before this happened, and now I have much more of a drive and passion for it than I ever did before.

Bill Condon mentioned this idea of self-loathing, that you said Edward was self-loathing and it was never presented as an element in the actual plot of the first 3 films…..
Robert Pattinson: Yeah, I always thought that would be the key ingredient to Edward’s character. I mean, he’s a 108 year old guy who’s never achieved anything he’s wanted to achieve, he’s been stuck in adolescence. When you’re an adolescent nothing is given to you. You think everything’s unfair, and he’s been living like that for 100 years (laughs). You’d eventually get to the point of desperation. I guess it’s very difficult to portray that and to portray a love story at the same time unless you want to make a very different movie. I was trying to push for that angle at the same time. It’s funny that Bill was the first person to say, “I want to put this at the forefront,” because Breaking Dawn is probably the happiest Edward’s been in the whole series (laughs). So perhaps it was the wrong moment to use that, but we did a couple of flashback scenes that kind of reflect his anger, I guess, when he first turned into a vampire.

How was it filming the birth scene?
Robert Pattinson: With the birth scene, I read the script before I read the book. It’s the first time I’d done that so I read that scene being kind of astonished (laughs). I knew it was crazy, the story, but I couldn’t believe that it was actually written down and we were going to do it. It was terrifying going into it. It ended up being this kind of….it was one of the most incredible scenes to do in this movie. There’s definitely an R-Rated or NC-17 rated version of a few scenes in this movie. It was just incredible to do that, because of the violence, it gave you a lot of freedom in the scene. Having every character so desperate, it suddenly became something very very different. Especially for Edward, who’s always held back, who’s a pacifist and he’s very objective and logical about everything, to do this thing where you’re suddenly playing Edward stuck between an emaciated dummy’s legs, chewing through a placenta, getting cream cheese and strawberry jam all over your face, and then pulling out a three-week-old baby afterwards, with a wig on. It’s like something out of a Bunuel movie (laughs).

How was your last moment playing Edward?
Robert Pattinson: The very last moments I was in St. Thomas in the Caribbean, on the beach. It was kind of incredible, it was the only time I’d ever experienced anything like that in the Twilight movies. The last scene with everyone, it was kind of horrible because it was freezing cold, it was after two weeks of night shoots. I think everyone just scattered after the scene. “Yeah, that’s the end of Twilight,” and it was five in the morning, it was freezing cold, pouring rain. At least it was kind of symbolic of how all the movies were shot, just freezing cold and pouring rain all the time (laughs). It doesn’t feel like the end of it yet, and also because the press tours have become so huge and you’re always being asked about it all the time. To me this feels like part of the process of making the movies. Until the last one’s released, I don’t really feel like I’ve finalized anything.
via|via

No comments:

Post a Comment